North West Active Travel Network
Spring 2019 Seminar
Shared Space: does it work? Site visit to Poynton
A site of interest for all traffic engineers and road users
Have seven years sharing space really regenerated this congested Cheshire town?
Come and see for yourself and meet the project’s visionary Cllr Howard Murray. The scheme was influenced by the late Dutch traffic engineer Hans Monderman and designed by the late Ben Hamilton-Baillie.
Thursday 23 May 11 00 – 14 00hrs FREE EVENT: REGISTER HERE!
11 00: Poynton Civic Hall: Introductions and presentation by Cllr Howard Murray
12 00: Site visit
13 00: Return to Civic Hall for discussion
14 00: Close
This shared space approach has been widely praised, but also strongly criticised by some others. Does it deserve this?
- Is traffic flow really better despite lower speeds?
- How well does it work for pedestrians?
- Are cyclists satisfied?
- What about those with a disability or those who are visually impaired?
- Should it be taken as a model for other streets?
- Has it been good for local business?
- Is there room for improvements?
Department of Transport Guidance:
Inclusive Mobility Strategy
DfT calls time on Shared Space
DfT gives partial clarification after Shared Space Injunction
There is no charge for the seminar, but as numbers are limited please register interest here.
What are my transport options for getting to and from the event?
We advise travel by sustainable transport options where possible.
Train: Poynton is well served by two railway lines:
– Manchester Piccadilly 09:44 (direction: Stoke) to Poynton Station 10:07; Return 14:29 (hourly service). Poynton Station is 0.8 miles from Poynton Civic Hall
– Manchester Piccadilly 09:24 (direction: Buxton): Middlewood Station 09:51 (links with Middlewood Way); Return 15:05 (irregular service). Middlewood Station is 2 miles from Poynton Civic Hall.
On both services bicycles can be carried without reservation. Cycle parking stands are situated adjacent to the Civic Hall entrance.
What are the refreshments available on the day?
To keep costs low, we regret that we are not offering any lunch, but sandwiches can be eaten inside the Civic hall.
Tea and coffee will be available (china reusable cups will be provided).
There are plenty of cafés available nearby within Poynton.